Job Description - Assistant Brewer
We’re looking for a new team member! Click below to find out more!
Reporting to the Operations Manager & Head Brewer, the Assistant Brewer is a key member of our
brewery team! Working in a fast paced, high-energy environment, the Assistant Brewer assists with
many brewing, cleaning and maintenance duties in the brewery. Duties include, but are not limited to,
assisting with brewing and packaging beer, running tests on products in progress, following cleaning
and maintenance schedule and procedures, cleaning all equipment and packaging, following
inventory management practices, and working with other members of the team to ensure all beer that
leaves the facility is of the highest quality and that the brewery is kept clean, functional, and up to
Publican House’s standards at all times. Average of 20-30 hours per week.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Brew and package beer according to brew schedule and per the Head Brewer
• Assisting with milling, mashing, lautering, wort boiling, cooling and transferring to fermenters,
transferring beer from Fermenters to Brite Beer tanks, filtering and ensuring all brewing
processes are recorded properly.
• Keep Brewing Facility clean and functional at all times
• Follow Cleaning & Maintenance Schedules and consult supervisor about cleaning needs, and
perform all required cleanings to the appropriate standard.
• Assist with inventory counts of grain, hops, and other raw materials inventory.
• Follow inventory procedures for all raw materials, chemicals, beer, cooperage, small parts,
packaging, supplies etc. and report deficiencies to supervisor.
• Monitor quality, temperature, pressure, gravities, and carbonation of beers in tanks, in
package, and at the Tap Room on a daily basis.
• Participate in beer tasting panels
• Work with Head Brewer to keep an improvement log on all issues as they develop.
• Represent Publican House at various events, festivals and promotions. Promote good public
relations and handle complaints and concerns.
• Follow all brewery and Publican House policies and procedures
• Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule: days, nights and or weekends.
Knowledge & Experience
• High school diploma or GED required.
• A formal brewing education from a credited brewing program preferred.
• College Degree in a related technical field (Science or Engineering) preferred.
• Experience in a Commercial Production Brewery.
• Advanced knowledge of beer offerings (flavors, ingredients, etc.)
• Valid Driver’s License required.
• Forklift certification considered an asset.
Additional Skills & Abilities
• Strong communication skills to interact with coworkers & consumers in a professional manner.
• Ability to follow detailed instructions and procedures.
• Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fastpaced and evolving work environment.
• Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
• Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment.
• Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
• Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills as well as
to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
Physical and Mental Requirements
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers to grasp,
handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions
of the hands and/or wrists.
• Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 55 lbs (bags of grain), and be able to move kegs
which weigh close to 150 lbs
While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions,
including; extreme heat, exposure to hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors,
chemicals, and moving machinery. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most
of the time